Storybook Pumpkin Contest
|Dates:||October 28- November 1. Drop off your pumpkin in the morning on October 28 in the Library. Pick up November 1 (otherwise they'll get thrown out!)|
|Who:||Anyone! One entry per student|
|Prize:||Grand prize for each grade: PreK, K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6. Winners will receive a $10 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble! Winners announced November1.|
- Use a SMALL fresh or artificial pumpkin. Students should be able to carry the pumpkin him/herself.
- PUMPKINS MAY NOT BE CARVED. Pumpkins may be painted, drawn or colored with markers, paints, etc. Do not paint an entire fresh pumpkin, as it will spoil too fast. Leave at least the bottom half free of paint! Acrylic paints or permanent markers work best. Watercolors tend to just smear. Yarn, pipe cleaners, fabric scraps, cardboard, glitter, construction paper, etc. may be used to decorate the pumpkin. Tape or glue may also be used. Embellishments such as hat, hair, bandanas, mustaches, glasses and jewelry can add life-like qualities.
- Be creative! Judging criteria will include originality, creativity, workmanship, and relevance to the chosen book. Decisions of our guest judges are final.
- Entries should be accompanied by a folded card that will be placed beside the design including the following information:
- Side 1- Student Name, Grade, Homeroom Teacher
- Side 2- Storybook Character Name, Book Title, Author/Illustrator
Click here (or contact Mrs. Thiel) to see if the library owns a book with your storybook character. If the library does not, please consider purchasing a copy for our library! If you have questions about your book purchase, contact Mrs. Thiel (email@example.com).
All pumpkins will be on display in the hallway outside the Library where a panel of guest judges will choose a winner in each category.
Remember this fun event is completely voluntary!